The installation package comes with two modules: admin and user. Admin module is a web-based versioning software hosted on developer’s server. In general, it’s responsible for products and versions management, update notifications, etc. Equally important user module contains two PHP files for inclusion in developer’s scripts.
First, author installs admin module to setup products and versions. Then he adjusts update settings and includes bundled files (user module) in his product. From now on, script will auto update itself on client’s machine when needed.
Both server and user modules work on localhost, so clients can auto install and update PHP scripts on any machine with Internet connection.
Auto installations and updates work on any system with PHP 5.5 or higher along with cURL and ZipArchive extensions. Server module additionally needs a MySQL database (with MySQLi extension) to store product data.
Put simply, if a machine can handle WordPress installation, it’s fully compatible with PHP self-update script.
Yes, both server and user modules work on any hosting account (shared, reseller, VPS, dedicated, etc).
A single installation handles an unlimited number of products, versions, and installation/upgrade packages.
The integration is very easy and takes less than 5 minutes to complete even for beginners. The whole scheme is below:
- Open included configuration file and define basic settings: server URL, product ID and security key (to prevent unauthorized connections).
- Add this file to your script using PHP include or require function.
- Finally, call one of PHP Auto Update Script functions inside your code to automatically download and install the latest available version.
An existing integration can be expanded by calling additional functions at any time. That is to say, authors can create interactive installers that allow users to select a specific version to download, auto-select product version depending on PHP version installed on client’s system, and so on.
PHP self-update script supports all popular PHP frameworks, encoders, accelerators and templating engines, including, but not limited, to:
- Frameworks: CakePHP, CodeIgniter, Fat-Free, Flight, FuelPHP, Kohana, Laravel, Phalcon, PHP-Mini, Slim, Symfony, Yii , Zend Framework, Zikula…
- Encoders: ionCube, PHTML Encoder, SourceGuardian, YAK Pro, Zend Guard…
- Accelerators: ionCube PHP Accelerator, Windows Cache Extension for PHP, XCache, Zend Opcache (ex. Zend Optimizer+)…
- Templating engines: Blade, Deval, dwoo, FigDice, Smarty, Stamp, TinyButStrong, Tonic, Twig, Twital…
Don’t see some extension you work with? Just contact us for compatibility details.
An author can configure PHP self-update system to work any way he wants. Here are some possible configurations:
- Only check for new version when user wants to do so.
- Check for new version every X days and display a notification when upgrade is available, so user can decide if he wants to upgrade.
- Force instant updates every time new version is available and never allow user to skip them.
- Allow user to run an old version for a limited time and then ask or force to upgrade.
And more. It’s just a sample list of possible uses, so every author can customize updates mechanism to suit his very personal needs.
Authors can use PHP self-update system along with Auto PHP Licenser to ensure only paid clients install and run their programs. Verification is performed on author’s server where Auto PHP Licenser is installed and only succeeds when license is valid and meets other requirements, such as domain, IP address, installation path, etc. To be sure, there’s no way for user to bypass or fake this check.
phpmillion provides these support options: a detailed documentation, step-by-step integration instructions, user guide with easy to understand examples of each supported function, an interactive help section integrated into administration dashboard, a troubleshooter, answers to frequently asked questions, and 24/7 support forums.
Beside a detailed user guide, installation package includes a working demo program powered by PHP Auto Update Script. Demo program includes every supported function (let it be version check, installation archive download, database update, etc.) along with detailed comments and useful notes for programmers.
PHP self-update script license is valid for unlimited products and versions. That is to say, authors can use the same installation to update multiple scripts without any extra fees. Furthermore, license comes with truly unlimited, lifetime updates.